Front and back cover of the magazine Construyamos escuelas (Let us build schools), no. 1 (August 1947), published by the Comité Administrador del Programa Federal de Construcción de Escuelas (CAPFCE), Mexico City.
In Mexico, Hannes Meyer, the Swiss architect and second director of the Bauhaus, led the Instituto del Urbanismo y Planificación (Institute of urbanism and planning) between 1942 and 1949, making schools a priority for regional development. With his guidance, the Mexican government sponsored the construction of small, low-cost rural schools that were modern but that also expressed a strong regional architectural identity.
Learn more at MoMA.org/centuryofthechild